Frontier Center awards funding to six projects joining researchers from US and India
Original story here from AUGUST 20, 2022
The IIT Bombay-Ohio State Frontier Center announced nearly $380,000 in funding to six collaborative research teams through its third round of awards under the Frontier Center Scholars Program.
The IIT Bombay-Ohio State Frontier Science and Engineering Research Center is a joint research center operated by the Institute for Materials Research (IMR) at The Ohio State University and the Indian Institute of Technology Bombay. It builds on both institutions’ research strengths in renewable energy, electronics, photonics, materials, and quantum information technology.
Teams set to receive funding bring together investigators with complementary expertise from India and the U.S. to enable unique projects that push the frontier of science and engineering research beyond what could be accomplished by a single institution. Funding costs are shared by Ohio State and IIT Bombay.
Each supported project under the Frontier Center Scholars Program is carried out by a team that includes a pair of principal investigators, one from Ohio State and one from IIT Bombay, and one or two graduate students.
This year, the Frontier Center is thrilled to expand the scope and impact of its Research Scholar program, with four of the funded projects supporting two doctoral students who will be supported for a semester of research at their partner university. These expanded teams will be awarded additional time and funding support.
Last year, eight collaborative research teams received funding through the second round of Frontier Center Scholar Grants. Those teams are now conducting research across a wide range of areas related to AI, infrared detectors, photovoltaics and more.
2022 Frontier Center Scholar Projects
Developing Structure-Property Linkages for Electron Beam Melted Ti-6Al-4V
– PIs: Alankar Alankar (Mechanical Engineering, IIT Bombay) and Stephen Niezgoda (Materials Science and Engineering, Ohio State)
Frontier Center Scholar: Aayush Trivedi (IIT Bombay)
Development of a Compact Magnetocardiography Sensor
– PIs: Rajesh Zele (Electrical Engineering, IIT Bombay) and Asimina Kiourti (Electrical and Computer Engineering, Ohio State)
Frontier Center Scholar: Shubham Jain (IIT Bombay)
Fundamental Transport Studies of Impact Ionization Process in Antimonide Avalanche Photodiodes
– PIs: Bhaskaran Muralidharan (Electrical Engineering, IIT Bombay) and Sanjay Krishna (Electrical and Computer Engineering, Ohio State)
Frontier Center Scholar: Anuja Singh (IIT Bombay) and Nathan Gajowski (Ohio State)
Micro and Macro Characterization of Nano-composite Materials for Biomedical Applications
– PIs: Sunita Srivastava (Physics, IIT Bombay) and Gunjan Agarwal (Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Ohio State)
Frontier Center Scholar: TBA (IIT Bombay) and Aratrika Pan (Ohio State)
Rapid 3D Printing of Geometric Features for EV Battery Enclosures
– Principal investigators (PIs): Amitava De (Mechanical Engineering, IIT Bombay) and Wei Zhang (Materials Science and Engineering, Ohio State)
Frontier Center Scholar: Diljith P K (IIT Bombay) and Aryan (Ohio State)
SiC-based On-board Charger with Smart Gate Driver for Electric Vehicle Application
– PIs: Sandeep Anand (Electrical Engineering, IIT Bombay) and Anant Agarwal (Electrical and Computer Engineering, Ohio State)
Frontier Center Scholar: Aditya Aman (IIT Bombay) and TBA (Ohio State)
Story by Mike Huson, IMR and Frontier Center Communications Coordinator
Follow: @OhioStateIMR | @IITB_OSU_FC